Ann & Peter

in New Zealand

LRD Home

Our travels

Kia Ora

The month started with a big earthquake in Christchurch. Fortunately no-one was killed but a lot of damage has been done to some of the historic buildings.

We've finished the corokia hedge which we've been planting down the driveway. The last 24 plants have gone in and we're now waiting for it to grow.

Peter is still busy in the evenings and wet weekends with painting, stand building and sorting out the paperwork for our rapidly approaching Bonsai Convention.

We had a severe storm the weekend before Mike arrived - strong winds and heavy rain here. A heavy fall of snow in the south collapsed the roofs of a sports stadium and several shops in Invercargill. The rain continued during the first week of his holiday but it didn't stop Ann showing him the delights of Te Awamutu and Hamilton.

At the annual Pirongia craft fair in the village, Ann bought a couple of new garden ornaments. Now she has to decide where they are going.
We took Mike to see the glow-worms at Waitomo and the kiwibirds at Otorohanga.

Some friends, Helen, Dave, Tim and Jean, came over on the Saturday evening for a meal.

No - we haven't got a third dog. The scruffy looking one on Tim's lap is Sam - we were just dog sitting for the week-end.

In Rotorua, Mike was persuaded to act as the Chief of the visitors when visiting the Maori village at Te Puia.

This involved him facing the challenge from the warrior and accepting the gift of a fern leaf.

We went north for a few days and stayed at Coopers Beach. Jaz and Maxie really enjoyed the early morning walks along a deserted beach.
We visited Paihia and showed Mike the Treaty House, war waka (canoe) and Te Whare (meeting house).

We also visited Russell which was the original capital of New Zealand (way back in 1840).
Other places we visited included Kauri Kingdom, gum diggers, the Stone Store (the first European house built in New Zealand), the chocolate factory and heavenly fudge shop in Kerikeri.

News from Home

Jean & John were cordoned off as the Pope made his visit to Cofton Park. Their house was inside the security zone set up for his visit and if they went out they had to take proof of their address to get back in.

Peter's brother, Dave, is enjoying playing in a band again after a few years off.

Back to top of page